Tuesday, October 19, 2010

KALOO FROM TRIPURA

                      KALOO FROM TRIPURA

The story goes back to the days when I started my career at sea in early nineties soon after epidemic of plague hit Gujrat . It was my first trip at sea on the ship named “state of Tripura”. We loaded a cargo of granite for Venice Italy & aluminum ingots for Jebal ali, Dubai.
After two days of sailing from vizag the ship company discovered a new  member on board – one that came on board without a passport & definitely not up the gangway – a young crow who could just about fly . He was well accepted by the ship’s company & soon named Kaloo. Kaloo soon grew very friendly with ship’s company especially with me & was not afraid of humans at all.  Resting on the top of crane early in the morning, then breakfast out side the galley, Followed by sunbathing on the bridge wing sitting on my shoulder became kaloo’s daily routine and nobody knew where he hid himself during dark.
At last the day came when we reached Dubai after fifteen days of sailing. After going along side we started discharging the aluminum ingots. After a while, I realized that cargo work had stopped. . To find out what the problem was. I went on deck & found a shore official who wanted to see the captain. He informed the captain that a crow had arrived with the ship & cargo work could not resume until it had been caught. As per quarantine regulations, it would be necessary to catch the crow as it could not be left to wander about freely. There was a long argument, but finally order came from the captain “catch the crow”. Crow was enjoying his shore leave & was sitting on top of a bollard on the quay, on the master’s orders all the ship’s company embarked on “operation Blackbird”. Needless to say it was a difficult task without any special equipment. Now kaloo refused to recognize anyone of us & flew & flapped all over the ship as the ship’s company chased him from poop to forecastle & back   again. After a long exercise kaloo , apparently tired. Fell into the water between the ship & the quay. Everybody heaved a sigh of relief except me as I had just lost a good friend. I felt really bad. I wanted to see kaloo for one last time but that was not possible because of fenders. Cargo work had been already delayed by four hours. The quarantine official was still not satisfied – he wanted to see the dead body of the bird .With no other option, I went on the fenders risking my life to recover the dead body of my friend but to my surprise found kaloo perched comfortably on a projection below the fender. I tried to catch him but kaloo would have none of that. He started flying again & we were back to where we started four hours ago. “Operation Blackbird” was revived. This time we went equipped with cargo nets. The operation did not last long because kaloo was tired and wet .He was soon nabbed. After all this drama, the victorious warriors returned to the ship. This time he was not on my shoulder but I was holding his legs. He was a bit surprise and was looking in to my eyes trying to find out what caused change of my heart, I felt pity but I was duty bound. I am sorry kaloo I murmured my eyes were wet as I was sure he is going to be killed, I will set you free if they spare you, I promised. I prayed hard that they don’t kill him.
After a hearing the one man jury announced its verdict & it was decided to imprison kaloo. He was kept inside a box on the poop & we were told to ensure that he stayed alive & kicking I was more than happy since I was expecting even a tougher punishment even kaloo looked happy as if saying thanks to me for saving his life. Every morning while we were in port a quarantine official would visit the ship for kaloo’s attendance so there was no question of releasing kaloo. After a few days we sailed out towards Venice. Once we were out of port limits. Kaloo was released. Freedom found. kaloo resumed his old daily routine. One fine day he was resting on my shoulder I was standing at bridge wing a mess man offered some bread to him from the poop. Needless to say kaloo dive for it but wasn’t destined to make it. It was bit windy & kaloo could not control himself. Despite his best efforts he could not make a safe landing & ditched into the sea. seeing this I was shocked ,I ran to poop ,no way such a big ship can be turned fast even stopping a ship from its full speed would be of no help I thought may be I will still save him by throwing something. I was watching helplessly as the ship was moving ahead kaloo was trying hard to catch up , kaloo you can do it, I shouted he looked at me as if acknowledged, gap was increasing between us , I closed my eyes prayed hard . I opened my eyes, gap was decreasing between kaloo and the waves, please fly hard I shouted on top of my voice but in vain. I was crying, I am sorry kaloo I murmured I could not keep my promise please forgive me. We never saw him again. In future trips I made it a habit of checking ship before leaving any port.
Thus ended the sad story of kaloo, the baby crow, who started his brief sea career at vizag, on the ship state of tripura & ended it in the depths of the red sea.

                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment